Monday, October 19, 2009

How should I store my sterling jewelry?

If you want to prevent tarnish when storing your jewelry, there are multiple ways to accomplish that. The method that I use, that is very cheap and easy, is to put the jewelry in a small plastic baggie and insert an anti-tarnish strip (about 1/2" x 1/2" square). The strip will strip away chemicals that tarnish sterling silver!



What happens if you don't use the strip? Well, plastic baggies can actually make your sterling tarnish faster than leaving it out in your jewelry box. Note that it's those warm, humid environments that really tarnish your jewelry quickly! Keep it in the bathroom? I think not...

Where can one buy these strips? Here are two sources:

Fire Mountain Gems (shown above)
Rio Grande

Do the anit-tarnish strips require maintenance? Yes. You will have to replace them about once every 6 to 9 months, depending on the brand. Is it worth it? I think so!

3 comments:

  1. This is such a cute post! i love it! hope u r doing well!
    Its really a great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to visiting your blog again. Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Custom stamped metal jewelry is all the rage right now, so I thought I would try my hand at it and found out just how easy it is to make yourself!

    ReplyDelete